General Meeting: second Wednesday of the month
Arcadia Red Cross
376 W Huntington Dr, Arcadia, CA 91007
On the south campus of Arcadia Methodist Hospital
Socialize, business, refreshments, raffle, show and tell, B.S.ing
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 13
FLOAT FLY MAY
RESCHEDULED TO MAY 19
due to weather:
last weekend of Renaissance Faire
- arrive early
Tune up your float planes!
Membership Application / Renewal Form Available On Line
Welcome flyers from Robin's Hobby flying field!
New members joining in April - June pro-rated: $100 ($105 PayPal)
Click the image below to access the Online Application and Renewal Form.
After you submit it we will email you payment options. Don't forget your AMA has to be renewed also.
Renewals after Feb 28 will be treated as new members.
NEW MEMBERS: Please go to the Become a Member tab for necessary information.
FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT WANT TO PRINT AN APPLICATION FORM CLICK HERE
Success so far - the Special Rule for Model Aircraft has been included in the House
version of the FAA reauthorization bill. Be ready for more requests for
action as the bill proceeds to the Senate and reconciliation.
In the current legal environment, our ability to legally fly RC model aircraft depends on the existence of The Special Rule for Model Aircraft, part of the FAA Reauthorization Act. Without this section, we would have to get UAS licenses under Part 107 (not easy or cheap), be over 16, and fly under highly regulated conditions.
There has been talk in Congress of removing this Rule, also know as Section 336.
You must contact your legislator NOW with the AMA form, AND calling their office.
CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO AMA WEBSITE
AMA EXPO WEST Moves Location and Date
The AMA Expo West (formerly AMA Expo, and International Model Show) has been at the
Ontario Convention Center for a number of years. The role of selling trade shows has changed
in recent years as sales migrate to the internet and manufacturers and importers face profit pressure.
In an attempt to reimage the Expo, it will move to the LA Fairground with dates of November 2 - 4, 2018.
There will be room for outdoor flying (on the former horserace track) and indoor flying, boats, and trains. The prior dates in January were bad for sales (after Christmas)
and attendance after the New Years holiday. The new date and location should result in increased attendance
and publicity for our hobbies.
NEW AMA SAFETY CODE
AMA comes up with simplified, concise Safety Code
For a complete copy of AMA’s Safety Handbook please visit: www.modelaircraft.org/files/100.pdf
Academy of Model Aeronautics
National Model Aircraft Safety Code
Effective January 1, 2018
A model aircraft is a non-human-carrying device capable of sustained flight within visual line of sight of the pilot or spotter(s). It may not exceed limitations of this code and is intended exclusively for sport, recreation, education and/or competition. All model flights must be conducted in accordance with this safety code and related AMA guidelines, any additional rules specific to the flying site, as well as all applicable laws and regulations.
As an AMA member I agree:
- I will not fly a model aircraft in a careless or reckless manner.
- I will not interfere with and will yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft using AMA’s See and Avoid Guidance and a spotter when appropriate.
- I will not operate any model aircraft while I am under the influence of alcohol or any drug that could adversely affect my ability to safely control the model.
- I will avoid flying directly over unprotected people, moving vehicles, and occupied structures.
- I will fly Free Flight (FF) and Control Line (CL) models in compliance with AMA’s safety programming.
- I will maintain visual contact of an RC model aircraft without enhancement other than corrective lenses prescribed to me. When using an advanced flight system, such as an autopilot, or flying First-Person View (FPV), I will comply with AMA’s Advanced Flight System programming.
- I will only fly models weighing more than 55 pounds, including fuel, if certified through AMA’s Large Model Airplane Program.
- I will only fly a turbine-powered model aircraft in compliance with AMA’s Gas Turbine Program.
- I will not fly a powered model outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for myself or my helper(s) located at the flight line, unless I am taking off and landing, or as otherwise provided in AMA’s Competition Regulation.
- I will use an established safety line to separate all model aircraft operations from spectators and bystanders.
We want to thank all the members and guests that attended the 2018 Open House. We had lots of members and a good number of guest pilots and public and families. Weather was warm and sunny. A Santa Ana windy morning calmed down to allow a full day of flying. Trainers, racing drones, autogyros, ducted fans, pattern ships, crop dusters. A little of everything. A huge thank you to Don Bangle for a wonderful Fuddrucker's lunch, We got at least five new members on site and several more prospects. Donations were collected for our charities - City of Hope, Red Cross, DAV and Friends of Santa Fe Dam. All in all a memorable day. If anyone has pictures to share, please email the pictures or links to your uploaded pictures to SFDRCM@hotmail.com
Nitro Planes / Hobby Partz to Move, Stop Selling Airplanes
According to club members, Nitro Planes will move to smaller quarters and stop selling airplanes. They will concentrate on cars and drones. They say manufacturers in China are no longer producing built up (wood / film / fiberglass) airplanes, only molded foam ones. Almost all airplanes shown on their website are listed "out of stock". We have no word on whether Great Planes or Hangar 9 are affected by this supposed factory situation.
Horizon Buys RC Assets of Hobbico / Tower
Horizon Hobby has purchased the radio control assets and brands of bankrupt Hobbico. These include Tower Hobbies and Great Planes, and presumably exclusive brands such as Top Flite, Goldberg, Axial, Super Tigre. Status of OS Max and Futaba, for whom Hobbico is exclusive north American distributor is not known. Hobbico employees have until April 6 to apply for re-employment with Horizon. Both companies are headquartered in Champaign Illinois and started in 1975. Tower Hobby and Horizon websites seem to be operating as normal.